Event Day – November 11, 2023
• Participants receive their badges, t-shirts, or vests from the registration desks at Sirkeci Central Train Station. Registration starts at 9:00 AM due to high attendance.
• 1 Analog, 1 Mobile, 1 Video and 3 Digital category themes are announced at the Sirkeci Central Train Station, at 12:00 AM. Themes are not known in advance.
• Participants photograph the themes explained in their categories within 3 hours and arrive at the second station, Beyazit Square, at 3:00 PM at the latest. The new 1 Analog category, 1 Mobile category and 3 Digital category themes are announced at Beyazıt station.
• Participants photograph the themes explained at Beyazit station and arrive at Sishane Metro, the last station, at 6:00 PM. Finally, 1 Mobile category and 3 Digital category themes are announced in the tunnel station. Films of Analog participants will be collected.
• Participants complete the event by taking photos of the latest themes. Digital and Mobile category participants can upload their photos to the photo upload area on photomaraton.com from 21:00 on November 11, 2023, until 11:59 on November 12, 2023.
• Analog Category participants work on 36 or roll films to be obtained from Pamuk Ticaret. Films received in Taksim are washed and scanned by Pamuk Ticaret. Participants choose 3 theme photos from the photos sent to them by e-mail and share photos with “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
• Mobile category participants should also post photos related to the announced 3 themes on their public Instagram accounts with the hashtags “#photomaraton23” and “#canonphotomaratonda,” along with the “theme number” and “participant number,” by 11:59 on November 12, 2023.
• Video Category participants will publicly share the video they will prepare for the announced theme on YouTube or Vimeo platforms titled “Name and Surname / #photomaratonistanbul” until 12:00 PM on November 13, 2023.
The awards for PhotoMaraton Istanbul 2023 have been determined by the main sponsor, Canon!
In the Digital category, among the 9 themes, the PhotoMaraton Istanbul 2023 Overall Winner will receive 1 EOS R10 + RF-S 18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Kit
In the Digital category, the winners of the other 8 themes will each receive 1 EOS R50 + RF-S 18-45mm S CREATOR KIT
For the Mobile Category theme winners, each will receive 1 Selphy Square QX10 Fotoğraf Yazıcısı + XS-20L Photo Paper
Analog Category theme winners will each receive 1 SELPHY CP1500 + KP-108IN Photo Paper
The Video Category theme winner will be gifted 1 PowerShot V10 Advanced Vlogging Kit.
On the day of PhotoMaraton, participants will also have access to special content from Canon.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can click here to reach our page where more questions are answered.
What Will I Do on the Morning?
The registration desk will start at 09:00 AM. Before reaching the registration area, an information sheet and sequence number will be presented for you to enter the information “Name, Surname, Phone Number, Mail Address, and the Category You Will Participate in”. When it’s your turn, your temperature will be measured and you will reach the registration desks after verification of the HES code with your information sheet.
Your information will be predefined at registration desks. When you reach the table, you will forward your information sheet to the staff, and your badge will be delivered.
T-shirts will also be delivered with a stamp on the badge to you in the area opposite the registration desk.
In addition, the main sponsor, Canon company can visit the stadium in the relevant area.
At 12:00 PM, the themes will be announced in the entrance area of the station. square.
Can I be in two different categories at the same time?
Yes, there is no limit to participation. As long as you comply with the rules, you can participate in all categories .by purchasing separate tickets. You can click here to buy tickets.
Can I Register on PhotoMarathon Day?
You can register at the “New Registration” tables in the registration area on the PhotoMarathon day. Due to the materials presented to the participants, a difference fee of 20 TL is charged to those who register on the day of the event.
How Does the Photo Uploads?
Digital and Mobile category submissions are done through photomaraton.com. Participants who are entering both the digital and mobile categories can submit their photos through the same form at once. Since the original versions of the photos will be uploaded, it’s normal to wait a bit for the photos to upload based on your internet speed after clicking the submit button on the form.
In the Digital category, the 9 photos taken + 3 icon photos should be uploaded to the form, which will remain open until November 12, 2023, at 11:59. You must upload your photos for each theme and station-proof photo in the relevant form. They should be submitted in the order of Sirkeci Icon + Sirkeci 3 Themes + Beyazıt Icon + Beyazıt 3 Themes + Şişhane Icon + Şişhane 3 Themes.
In the Mobile category, the 3 photos taken + 3 icon photos should also be uploaded to the form, which will remain open until November 12, 2023, at 11:59. Just like in the Digital category, you must upload your photos for each theme and station proof photo in the relevant form. They should be submitted in the order of Sirkeci Icon + Sirkeci Theme + Beyazıt Icon + Beyazıt Theme + Şişhane Icon + Şişhane Theme.
Additionally, mobile category participants should upload the photos related to the announced 3 themes on their Instagram accounts as posts before November 12, 2023, at 11:59, using the hashtags “#photomaraton23” and “#canonphotomaratonda,” along with the “theme number” and “participant number.” If you don’t have an Instagram account, you can create a new one. Photos without social media sharing will not be presented to the jury. There is no need to upload the PM icon (station) photos to Instagram.
For participants entering both the digital and mobile categories at the same time, you only need to upload one station-proof photo on photomaraton.com.
In the Analog category, films will be collected at the Şişhane station (keep the film box). They will be developed at the Karaköy Photographer company and the photos will be delivered to participants via email.
Video category participants should create a sound/music video up to 3 minutes long based on the video theme announced at the Sirkeci station. This video should be publicly shared on YouTube or Vimeo platforms with the title “Name Surname / #photomaratonistanbul” by November 13, 2022, at 12:00 (within 48 hours of theme announcement).
Is photo manipulation allowed?
Is Photoshop Allowed?
Making manipulations on photos during PhotoMarathon events is prohibited. Additionally, it goes against the spirit of PhotoMarathon. The official PhotoMarathon program can determine if photos have been manipulated.
It’s quite clear which device was used, at what time, through which program manipulations were made, and even whether the EXIF information has been altered. Relevant photos that are deemed to have violated the rules are not shared with the jury. Every year, many individuals are disqualified solely for this reason.
Only the original versions of the photos located on the SD card are accepted or uploaded to the form. When you examine the results of PhotoMarathon, you will find that no manipulated photo has won or will win.
Can I Use My Camera’s Features?
All of a device’s effects are allowed before pressing the shutter button. If you want to use the camera’s filters (e.g., black and white), you should apply the filter before taking the photo to avoid any issues. Changes made using the camera’s features after taking the photo can alter the photo’s time. Any photo that doesn’t comply with the rules regarding time is not shared with the jury.
Photos created through the montage of multiple photos (collage) or using High Dynamic Range (HDR) techniques and photos generated by artificial intelligence are disqualified.
Adjustments can be made to the extent allowed by the camera. For example, cropping a photo or rotating it is not prohibited. These actions should only be completed within the theme announcement periods. After a new theme is announced, no changes should be made to photos related to the previous theme.
Is Photoshop Prohibited in the Mobile Category?
Photos taken should not be edited on a computer in any way. Editing in photos should only be done using the device’s features. In the Mobile category, if possible, all adjustments should be made before taking the photo. Third-party photo editing applications (e.g., Snapseed, PhotoSuite) or photo filters can be used.
The most important point is that these edits should only be completed within the theme explanation hours. For example, once the second theme is announced, you can no longer make changes to the photo taken for the first theme. Similarly, for the third theme announced at the final station, you only have 3 hours (until 21:00) to make adjustments.